Trade Mark is a sign used by a person/entity in the course of business or line of work to distinguish his goods or services from those of other traders. Singapore uses the International Classification of Goods and Services, under the Nice Agreement, to classify trade mark registrations. There is a total of 34 different classes of goods and 11 classes of services that a trader can register in relation to a mark. Once registered, a trade mark is valid for 10 years and is renewable.
A trade mark can be represented using letters, words, names, signatures, labels, devices, tickets, shapes and colours
Trade mark symbols
- ® indicates that the mark is a registered trade mark that has been successfully registered and hence protected under the trade mark law. You are permitted to use the ® symbol next to your mark.
- ™ is just a symbol used to indicate that the mark is used by the company as a trade mark. It does not represent that the mark is protected or registered under the trade mark law.
Benefits of registering a trade mark
- Protection for your goods /services: If a mark is not registered, you have to engage legal assistance to go to court to prove that there is a misrepresentation by a third party, in the minds of the relevant consumers.
- Statutory monopoly of your mark: A mark can value add to your business by protecting our market share. You can also license the mark to a third party such as a franchisee or transfer/sell the mark for monetary purpose.
- Branding: You can build up your goods/service that is distinguishable from other traders. It protects against registration of confusingly similar marks and the business is able to gain from the goodwill and market value in the long run.
- Tax Rebates: You get up to 400% tax rebates from IRAS under the Productivity and Innovation Credit (PIC) scheme. It will assist to offset costs that the business has incurred for trademark registration.
- Assistance to check exact class number and appropriate specification
- Preparation of application forms
- Similar Mark Verification
- Submission of application to IPOS to obtain filing date
*Kind Note: It is not mandatory to register a trademark in Singapore for your trade.
- Applicant to be present at our office: 10 Anson Road, International Plaza #05-17, personally.
- Bring NRIC and/or Passport of applicant;
- Bring along a clear graphical representation of your mark.
- Prepare a list of goods and services that you are registering in relation to the mark.
- A declaration of use/intent to use the trademark, and filing application fee.
- ACRA Business Profile, not more than 2 weeks old (can be purchased on-site @ $5.50) – if the trademark is to register under the Singapore Registered Company.
- After we submit your application, we will obtain a filing date from IPOS.
- Applications will normally be examined in about four to six months from the filing date. You will be informed if your application is in order or if there are objections affecting your application.
If you are unable to visit our office, or have further enquiries, email us now!
- Incorporation Service: If you want to incorporate a Company in Singapore, DP SME Advisory is a one-stop business advisory centre for entrepreneurs and business owners. For a hassle-free and efficient incorporation process, check out our Incorporation Service Options.
- Registered Office Service: EVERY business/company must have a registered office in Singapore which must be operational and accessible to the public during normal office hours. Please note that a P.O. Box address cannot be used as a business address. If you do not have one, check out our Registered Office Service.
- Corporate Secretarial Service: All Companies registered in Singapore must appoint a Company Secretary to handle Statutory Compliance matters. If you have not appointed an experienced Company Secretary, check out our Corporate Secretarial Service.
- Accounting, Tax & Payroll Service: All companies in Singapore are required to keep proper account records, and directors are required to present at the AGM, the company’s accounts that comply with the requirements of the Accounting Standards in Singapore. DP SME Advisory offers a full suite of accounting, tax and GST filing services to fulfill compliance to both ACRA (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority) and IRAS (Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore). Check out our Accounting, Tax & Payroll Services.
- Check AGM Due Date, etc
- Check Expiry Dates
- View T&Cs of Services
DP SME Advisory gives very accurate and reliable information regarding business setups and corporate secretarial services. The staff are professional and warm. We have been with DP SME Advisory for several years now and the quality and reliability of the service is the reason why we chose DP SME Advisory.
DP SME Advisory is a one stop center for our business needs.
- Mr. Lim, Director
Professionalism and responsiveness is of Top Quality. At times going beyond the call of duty. Would strongly recommend DP SME Advisory for corporate secretarial services.
- Jimmy, Director
Had seen DP SME Advisory employees shown a high level of professionalism and patience in attending all my enquiries with immediate attention and given explanation on how to handle it. Would definitely recommend my local or overseas business associates to use this company service without hassles or doubts faced.
- Winston Kong, Director